- Nicene Creed
- The Apostle's Creed
- Our Father (Lord's Prayer)
- Hail Mary
- Glory Be
- Psalm 23
- Lord Jesus, You are my Healer and Provider.....
- Powerful prayer in Urgent Need to the Infant JESUS
- Prayer for a Special and Urgent Request
- Prayer to Saint Jude Thaddeus in Desperate and Hopeless situation
- Prayer to St. Expedite - for speedy help in urgent...
- Shoulder wound of Jesus . . ..
- Prayer to the Passions and Wounds of Jesus
- Prayer to Saint Michael
- Psalm 71
- Psalm 91
- Psalm 119 ~ Praise God for giving such splendid laws and instruction for His people to live by
- Help Needed, Lord have Mercy on me
- Contribution 4 Blog
Sunday, 22 February 2015
Repentance and Renewal in the season of Lent
Therefore, turn away from our sinfulness, recommit ourselves to following Jesus, and deepen our relationship and closeness to God by reflecting on His Words. We remember in Lent that our faults can lead us away from God, and also make us selfish, forgetting about the needs of others. We think for a moment about our own lives and we ask God‟s forgiveness. During this time of Lent, we learn to let go of all unnecessary things and be more mindful of our dependence on God. We fast, abstain, pray and give alms.
Lord, during this Lenten season
nourish us with Your word of life
and make us one in love and prayer.
The forty days of Lent represent Jesus forty days in the desert fasting, overcoming temptations, and praying after His baptism by John the Baptist, Let us be like Jesus who never gave in to temptations during His forty days in the desert, We to need to pray to God like Jesus did in over coming temptations.
The Church has never allowed Sundays to be kept as days of fast ... Every Sunday is a day of obligation, the paschal mystery is celebrated (Canon 1246) and is also mini Easter.
Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition
the paschal mystery is celebrated,
must be observed in the universal Church
as the primordial holy day of obligation.
Abstinence from meat,
or from some other food
as determined by the Episcopal Conference,
is to be observed on all Fridays,
unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed
on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.
Therefore the calculation on how forty days came about is as follows:
From Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday is 46 days and there is 6 Sundays within that period. Therefore, 46 days minus 6 Sundays equals to 40 days of Lent fasting.